Sunday, April 3, 2011

Confessions of a Shopaholic... ;-)

Am I picking on someone? Nah, picking on myself. I simply go ballistic where it comes to shopping. Then all the well planned budget lined shopping list goes for a toss and all that comes home is junk which is really not needed.

Not joking, seriously. I make a long shopping list and go out and when I reach the shopping mall, I forget the list exists , I just start buying stuff without trying them on or really checking the size and always end up with a wardrobe full of clothes one size smaller. Sigh, yeah I should try the clothes on in the trial room, but I don't have the patience to do trials and end up with errors this way.

I rarely go shopping. But, when I do my bank balance goes on the negative side . This pinches my bottom where I pocket my wallet. A lady carrying a wallet!!! Yup, am different. I wear checked shirts with jeans , sometimes with a half jacket thrown in and a pair of sneakers for easy walkability. Total faltu look. I stroll into malls with my eye candy son and bodyguard (bouncer) daughter and then the journey begins. I always and only buy shoes for my son. He just seems to be growing by the minute and his shoes shrink by the second. My daughter is a basketball fan and player, so she ends up buying basketball paraphernalia apart from the regular Barbies and stuffed toys and treats.


A visit to the mall is just a pretense for whetting our appetites for good food. It can never be complete without visiting Mad Over Donuts and gorging down dozens of Doughnuts and getting another dozen packed for home. One more favourite haunt is Aromas of China and boy do we love the chinese delicacies that they dole out. Then , there is Pizza hut for one for the road kinda snack.

In all this melee, you must be wondering when do I do my shopping. Well am a different kind of shopper. If I am happy, I don't buy anything for myself. If I am sad, then shopping is my catharsis and I end up splurging and buying everything off the shelves whether they are needed or not. Psst, my home is a junkyard of stuff bought in a huff.

But, this is not real shopping. Real shopping used to happen when there were no malls around and we would go to Colaba in SoBo (South Bombay) and buy stuff from shops big and small and top it with the most authentic pasta at Cafe' Churchill and Bade Miyaan's kebabs, falooda kulfi and ragda patties at Kailash Parbat. The list is endless. Those times are long past buried in the pages of history. Now, it is an artificial environment to shop in with a plastic card to make the payment with.

Shopping is no more fun today. It's just a necessity to spend that extra buck one earns with the boost in the economy. Earlier, it used to be an affair with our senses... gastronomic and sensual. Now, it is business as usual with no time for family and family values. It's just a status symbol to shop at a happening shopping mall, coz that's the place you ought to be seen at.

I dream of going shopping. But, at leisure and in my own sweet time with someone who wouldn't mind holding............ no, not my hand silly... my purse. Then , I don't have to carry my wallet... it would be in the purse silly again. You thought , I expect the guy to pay, hai na? Yes, I do. What's wrong in expectations, although things have always been the other way round with me. I must say, it's been a nightmare in the past few relationships where I always ended up paying for my rascal dates. Men these days aren't made of the stuff a man should be made of. Now, don't go asking what that stuff is.

On that note, I shall end this blog... this was just made up coz am tired of waiting for someone to resume chat with me... waiting coz he has gone SHOPPING.




No comments:

Post a Comment